Writing a birthday message for your daughter is always a special moment every single year, no matter how old she gets.
Sure, she might pay more attention to the balloons and presents when she’s younger, but that opportunity to tell her how much she means to you, how much you love her, and maybe even offer some inspiration should never be missed. In years to come, she’ll look back on those birthday wishes and be reminded of what it means to be your daughter.
Being a parent comes with a certain pressure when it comes to writing birthday wishes on a card. A more distant relative or friend could get away with “Happy birthday, Love from XYZ”. But not you, you’re supposed to know her better than anyone else. So getting the birthday wishes right can feel a bit daunting.
Do you go for sentimental? Do you include a joke? Do you try to inspire her? Do you celebrate her achievements? How do birthday wishes for daughters differ from birthday wishes for sons?
The answers to these questions all depend on her, yourself and your relationship. Whatever type of message you go for, it needs to be personal to her.
We’ve put together this list to give you some inspiration, from the first birthday to adulthood. You may not find one that’s perfect for you and your daughter, but take the inspiration and adapt it to her.
Table Of Contents
Why birthday wishes from dad to daughter are special (and needed)
We all know the cliche that boys are ‘Mummy’s boys’ and girls are ‘Daddy’s girls’. There’s something particularly unique about the dad and daughter bond (not that the bond between a dad and his son isn’t special!).
There’s already plenty of evidence to suggest that fathers have a more significant role in shaping a child’s personality and behavioural traits. And it’s especially true of daughters. Girls who have positive relationships with their dads go through life with more independence and self-confidence, they behave and perform better in education, make better choices, and develop healthier romantic relationships.
Birthday wishes from a dad to a daughter are an excellent way to solidify that bond, whether you see it as an opportunity to say the things you perhaps don’t say often enough, or another way of showing your affection.
Your daughter’s birthday is a day to celebrate her life and all the amazing things that she is. Getting your birthday wishes right can not only help to make her day and give her another reminder that she is loved beyond measure, it can also help to boost her long-term mental health.
96 birthday messages from dad to daughter
Here are nearly 100 of our favourite birthday messages for daughters, right the way from her first birthday to adulthood.
First birthday wishes for daughter
1. We can’t believe our baby girl is 1 already. Time has gone by so quickly, but we love you so dearly. You won’t remember this day, but we’ll make it magical just for you in your own special way.
2. You are the most precious gift of all, but now it’s time for us to shower you with gifts. Thank you for being our lovely daughter for one whole year. Happy 1st birthday!
3. Happy 1st birthday to the most wonderful daughter in the whole world. We love you so much!
4. Happy birthday to the sweetest one-year old and the most amazing daughter
5. You may not remember your presents or the taste of your cake, but we’ll make sure you remember just how much Mummy and Daddy love you!
6. Dearest daughter, today you turn 1. We hope it’s the most magical day of your life so far! Happy birthday sweet girl
This is the first of many ‘Happy Birthday’ messages we’ll give to you, our darling daughter. And we hope each birthday is filled with as much joy as it is today. Happy birthday!
8. Mummy and Daddy feel so incredibly blessed to call you our daughter. Thank you for coming into our lives one year ago today. Happy 1st birthday, sweetheart!
9. Happy 1st birthday to the sweetest baby girl. We hope you have the most amazing day celebrating with your family all around you.
10. You’ve spent the past year bringing so much joy into our lives, and we can’t wait for another year filled with joy. Thank you so much for being our daughter. Happy 1st birthday!
11. You could have all the sugar and cake in the world, and it still wouldn’t be as sweet as you. Have a wonderful 1st birthday!
12. Wishing our amazing daughter a very happy birthday as she turns 1, with all the love in the world
14. We’ve loved every single second of you growing up this past year, and we can’t wait for a lifetime more. Have a wonderful birthday!
15. Happy 1st birthday to the cutest little girl in the entire world. We hope you have an amazing day!
16. Happy 1st birthday little princess. You mean the world to us and more. Have a fantastic day!
Toddler birthday wishes for daughter
17. Where did our baby girl go? You’re growing up so fast. Happy birthday beautiful girl!
18. I love your smile, I love your laugh, I love your hugs and kisses. On your birthday I want to say I love everything about you, my wonderful daughter. Happy birthday!
19. Happy birthday sweet girl. We hope your birthday is as special as you are!
20. Nothing shines brighter than a star, except your smile. Happy birthday princess!
21. To the moon and back again, we love you. Happy birthday!
22. Every day you get a little bit older, and every day we love you a little bit more. Have a wonderful birthday!
23. When our hearts beat they beat for you, our wonderful daughter. Wishing you a very happy birthday!
24. Happy birthday to the kind and sweet girl who stole our hearts X years ago today.
May you sparkle and shine like the biggest star that you are. Have a wonderful birthday!
26. Happy birthday darling daughter. May this day bring you joy and happiness!
27. Thank you for giving us every reason to smile every single day. We love you so much and hope you have an amazing birthday!
28. You were loved yesterday, you are loved today. You’ll be loved tomorrow and every day after. Happy birthday dearest daughter!
29. Happy birthday to our wonderful little girl. May your birthday be as memorable as you are!
30. We’re going to keep your birthday cards so you can look back on it when you’re older, and realise just how much we love you. You mean the world to us and more. Have a fantastic birthday, our darling daughter!
31. Mummy and Daddy love you more and more every single day. It’s hard to believe, but we’re going to love you even more tomorrow. Happy birthday, sweet princess!
32. Happy birthday to our walking, talking bundle of happiness and joy!
Preschool birthday wishes
33. We can’t believe you’re turning X already. When did you get so big? Mummy and Daddy wish you the very best birthday!
34. Happy birthday to our favourite daughter in the whole, wide world… oh wait, you’re our only daughter! Still, have a happy birthday!!
35. Anna, Else, Olaf, Kristoff and Sven phoned last night and asked us to wish you a very, very happy birthday!
36. We love you tooooooo infinity, and beyond! Happy birthday our precious girl!
37. Happy birthday little princess! We always knew you would be a strong, fearless little girl!
38. Happy birthday to the coolest kid around. We hope it’s the best birthday ever!
It's your birthday, let's party! Cake - check. Candles - check. Drinks - check. Gift - check. Coolest birthday girl ever - check!
40. Happy birthday darling daughter! It’s hard to believe that you’re only X and you’re already so strong, smart and brave.
41. Happy birthday precious girl, it’s the greatest dream to watch you grow every day!
42. To the greatest little girl and our best friend. Have the best birthday ever!
43. It’s your birthday! So make sure to eat lots of sweets and cake, play with your friends, and most importantly have fun. Happy birthday!
44. Happy birthday to the shining star in our lives!
45. Just X years old and already such a kind and smart girl. How lucky we are to be your Mummy and Daddy. Happy birthday!
46. You are the best thing that has ever happened to your Mummy and Daddy. We hope your birthday matches your smile!
47. Let’s get the party started, you’re X years old! Happy birthday, darling daughter!
48. When you were in Mummy’s tummy, we made a wish to have the kindest, sweetest, funniest, loveliest little girl there has ever been. And that wish came true! Happy birthday!!!
Birthday wishes for tween daughter
49. If you asked most people to name superheroes, they’d probably say Superman, Iron Man, Thor or Spiderman. Not us, we’d say you every time. Happy birthday beautiful girl!
50. Every single birthday I think back to the last, and somehow you grow smarter, kinder and more beautiful each year.
51. Happy birthday sweet girl! I hope all of your wishes and dreams come true.
52. You have a heart of gold, so I hope you get everything you’ve given to others tenfold. Happy birthday, baby girl!
53. What do you get for the most lovely daughter in the world? Nothing can match the gift you bring to our lives. Have an amazing birthday!
54. How is our baby girl 10 years old? It’s been an entire decade of fun, love and laughter with you and we can’t wait for another. We hope you have the most wonderful birthday!
55. There’s no one out there quite like you, and that’s what we love. Have the best birthday ever!
56. You might be captain of the cheer squad, but I’ll always be your biggest cheerleader. Give me a H, give me an A, give me a P, P Y. Give me a B, give me an I, give me an R, give me a T, give me a H, give me a D, A, Y. Haaaaaapy birthday!
57. As daughters go, you’re alright. Room for improvement in some areas. Just kidding, you’re the greatest daughter I could ask for. Happy birthday!
58. Roses are red and candy is sweet, but having you as a daughter cannot be beat. Happy birthday!
59. Happy birthday to an amazing girl who isn’t just my daughter, she’s also my best friend!
On your birthday we want you to know, there’s nothing in this world that you cannot do. Aim high and work hard. We love you. Happy birthday!
61. We know you’re getting older and you think you’re too cool for hugs and kisses from your Mum and Dad, but you’re just going to have to put up with them on your birthday. Have an amazing day!
62. DATE] is scientifically proven to be the best day of the year, all because it’s your birthday. Hope it’s the best one yet!
63. The day you were born was the greatest moment of my life. Just don’t tell your brother… Happy birthday!
64. We can’t believe how big our baby girl is getting. From small and sweet to brilliantly crazy, you’re amazing. Have an amazing birthday!
Teenage daughter birthday wishes
65. You may think that only children look up to their parents, but we look up to every single day. Happy birthday darling girl!
66. We’re so proud of the young woman you’ve become. Have a wonderful birthday!
67. Happy birthday to our amazing daughter. We hope your day is filled with happiness!
68. Being your dad makes me the happiest, luckiest and proudest man alive. Thank you for being you. I hope you have an amazing birthday!
69. Happy birthday to the most kind and smart girl in the world.
70. Happy Sweet Sixteen, darling girl. We hope your day is everything you’ve dreamed of.
71. Everyone in your life is a better person because they spend time with you. Have an amazing birthday, our amazing daughter!
72. We hope your birthday is as special as you are. Happy birthday, sweetheart!
73. Happy birthday to the most beautiful girl in the world. After all, you get your good looks from me!
74. When we look at you, we see a strong, ambitious and kind-hearted young woman who tries to make people happy every single day. It’s a privilege to watch you grow. Happy birthday!
75. Your positive attitude will take you far in life, no matter what you decide to do. Have a wonderful birthday and keep on smiling!
There’s a saying: ‘Leave the world in a better place than we found it’. You did that the moment you came into the world, but you have the power to keep doing it every day. We’re so proud of you. Happy birthday!
77. Another birthday? Time to get a job and start paying us back… Happy birthday!!
78. Some people say a birthday card is more important than presents, so we didn’t buy you any this year. Hope that’s okay? Happy birthday!!
79. I regret to inform you, but your childhood has expired. Your mail is going to get a lot less exciting now. Happy 18th Birthday, daughter!
80. From the daddy-daughter dances and rides to friends and clubs, to the day you eventually get married and I walk you down the aisle, I’ll always be here by your side. Happy birthday my darling daughter!
Birthday wishes for adult daughter
81. Every day you remind me more and more of your mother - you’re intelligent, kind and thoughtful, beautiful, wonderfully independent and fiercely confident. I’m so proud of the woman that you’ve become. Have a fantastic birthday!
82. Happy birthday, dearest daughter. You’re not a baby anymore but you’ll always be our baby girl.
83. Welcome to adulthood, princess. It’s a tough world out there, but we know you’re going to thrive in whatever path you choose. And know that we will always be here to support you. A very happy birthday to you!
84. You inspire us to be better people every single day. You really are a gift not just to us, but everyone around you. Have an amazing birthday!
85. No matter how old you get, you’ll always get a soppy card from your Mum and Dad telling you how amazing you are. Unless you put us in a nursing home… in which case you’ll just get “from Mum and Dad”.
If I’d picked things I wanted my daughter to be when she becomes a woman before you were born, I’d have described exactly what you are today. Happy birthday, hope you have an amazing day!
87. It’s time to relax and put your feet up, have a glass of wine and a big slice of cake. Happy birthday!
88. Having you as my daughter makes me a better dad. Happy birthday!
89. Welcome to your 20s, our not so little girl. These will be the best years of your life. Try new things, meet new people, go to new places. This decade is for living your best life. Happy birthday!
90. You were such a sweet little girl, and now you’re a strong, confident woman. Let’s not talk about you as a teenager! Have an amazing birthday!
91. I’m sorry I don’t say it often enough, but I love you with all my heart. Happy birthday darling!
92. You spend your days looking after everyone around you, but it’s your turn to be taken care of. Put your feet up and enjoy it. Happy birthday!
93. Happy first birthday as a Mum. You make us proud to be your parents every single day!
94. No matter how many birthdays you have, I always think back to the first time I held you in my arms. I’ll never, ever forget it. Have a wonderful birthday!
95. Happy birthday! I think I can see a few grey hairs, so we bought you some hair dye!
96. We did a poll and the results confirm, you’re the best daughter. Happy birthday!
16 birthday messages for a daughter-in-law
Sometimes we’re not blessed with a daughter of our own, but we gain one through marriage. Here are 16 birthday wishes for a daughter-in-law.
97. Happy birthday to the daughter we never had! We’re so proud to have you part of the family
98. Hope your birthday brings all the happiness you’ve brought to our son/daughter. You deserve it!
99. Happy birthday to a truly superb daughter-in-law. It feels like you’ve been part of the family since the day we met you.
100. We may not have been around for many of your birthdays so far, but we’ve already made so many wonderful memories together. And here’s to many more. Happy birthday!
101. You must have the patience of a saint for marrying into this lot. Have a fantastic birthday!
102. We’re so proud to call you son/daughter’s wife, and our grandkids’ Mum. Hope you have a wonderful birthday!
103. Hope your birthday is filled with all the happiness you’ve added to our lives!
104. Hope X spoils you rotten on your birthday. It’s nothing less than you deserve. Happy birthday!
105. It’s a special birthday for a special daughter-in-law. Hope your birthday brings everything you wish for!
106. Happy birthday to a wonderful, beloved daughter-in-law!
107. You’re such an inspiration to us every day. Thank you for coming into our family. Have an amazing birthday!
108. You won our hearts a long time ago. Hope your birthday is as good as your heart is big!
We know we’re supposed to get you gifts for your birthday, but we just wanted to tell you that you coming into our lives is a precious gift that we cherish so much. We love you. Happy birthday!
110. You are a truly amazing woman, an amazing wife, an amazing mother, and an amazing daughter-in-law. Hope your birthday matches you!
111. Wishing our dearest daughter-in-law a wonderful birthday!
112. We’re so happy our son/daughter found someone like you to spend their life with. Hope you have a wonderful birthday celebrating with X.
What can a father say to his daughter on her birthday?
There’s no definitive answer to this question, other than to say that it should be personal to her and your relationship.
You can use her nickname or centre it around something she loves. If she’s a bit older and she’s had a tough year, you could use your birthday message to try to lift her up and boost her confidence for the year ahead. If she’s achieved a lot in the past year, celebrate her achievements.
Whatever it is, just make sure it conveys your love for her.
What is a powerful birthday message for a daughter?
Given the societal fight for gender equality, a lot of parents understandably choose to write inspiring messages to girls; highlighting behavioural traits that aren’t stereotypically seen as ‘girly’, telling her she has the power to make a difference in the world, telling her there’s nothing in this world she can’t do if she puts her mind to it.
What is a unique way to wish a girl happy birthday?
Really, any birthday message you write to your daughter should be unique to her. That’s what makes them special. Whether you’re using her nickname, recalling a special memory you both hold, relating it to her favourite hobby… whatever it is, if you make it personal to her, it’s unique to her.
How do I write an emotional birthday wish for my daughter?
Think about the first time you held your daughter, or how you felt when you discovered you were having a girl. Think about how you feel when you see her smile, or she gives you a hug, or she holds your hand.Think about the things that make her special, and the things that make your relationship special. If you focus on how she makes you feel, it’ll be an emotional read for sure.