It’s the night before your son’s first birthday. He’s fast asleep in bed, the balloons are blown, the banners are up, his first birthday gifts are wrapped. There’s just one last thing to do…write his card. Your mind goes blank. We’ve all been there!
My mother has always said she would rather receive a card than a present. She says it’s more personal and sentimental. A birthday is the chance to celebrate someone’s life, and so birthday wishes are an incredibly useful and heartwarming way of showing someone how much they mean to you; an opportunity to tell them what you love about them, to reflect on what they’ve achieved in the past year or offer encouragement and advice for the year ahead. They can also be a great opportunity to bond and have a giggle over a dad joke or two.
Whether it’s his first, second or 21st birthday, what on earth do you write for a happy birthday wish for your son? What do you say, what don’t you say?
Let’s take a look at why birthday wishes are so important for sons, and some of the best, heartwarming birthday wishes for your son.
Table Of Contents
The importance of birthday wishes for son
What can seem like a small token of affection or gratitude written in a card can actually have long lasting effects. They're incredibly important regardless of whether they're a toddler or a teen.
There are numerous studies showing the positive impact parental affection has on a child. In 2015, one published by the University of Notre Dame showed that children who received affection, both physical and verbal, were more likely to be happier when they reached adulthood. They show more compassion, less depression and anxiety and higher confidence. On the other hand, children who receive less affection from parents are more likely to suffer with mental health problems later in life, find social situations more difficult and struggle to understand other people’s perspectives.
So birthday wishes can play a small, but important role in shaping children's mental health.
96 birthday wishes for your son
Here we go. We've got 96 brilliant birthday wishes for your son, right from their very first to adulthood.
First birthday wishes
1. We can’t believe you’re one already. Happy 1st birthday to the cutest little boy in the world!
2. Happy 1st birthday to our little boy. You’ve already brought so much joy and happiness into our lives!
3. On your 1st birthday, we want you to know that you are loved more than you can imagine!
4. No matter how much icing is there on your birthday cake, it’s not as sweet as you. Happy 1st birthday!
5. Happy 1st birthday to the best little boy in the world. We love you very much, have the best day
We're so proud to be your Mummy and Daddy, and we can't wait to watch you grow up. Happy 1st birthday dearest boy!
7. Happy 1st birthday to the most amazing baby boy in the whole wide world. Thank you for filling our lives with joy every single day!
8. Happy 1st birthday sweet boy. We hope you have the best birthday celebrating with your family around you!
9. A year ago you came into our lives and made us the happiest people in the world, and you’ve made us happier every single day since. Happy 1st birthday little one!
10. You changed our lives forever a year ago today and it’s been the most magical journey ever since. Mummy and Daddy wish you a very happy birthday!
11. Happy 1st birthday to our wonderful, sweet boy. You won’t remember today, but we’ll cherish the memories forever!
Mummy and Daddy wish you a lifetime of the happiness you give us. Happy 1st birthday to our sweet boy!
13. You are the most precious gift we could ever receive. Mummy and Daddy feel so lucky to call you our son. Happy 1st birthday!
14. We love you more than the whole universe. Happy 1st birthday!
15. Words can’t explain how much Mummy and Daddy love you. So, for now, we’ll just say happy 1st birthday!
16. One year of pure happiness, a lifetime more to come. Happy 1st birthday to our darling boy.
Toddler birthday wishes for sons
17. Happy birthday to the best son. We can’t believe how big you’re getting. Have a fantastic birthday!
18. You might be more interested in your presents, but you are the most wonderful gift Mummy and Daddy could ever receive. Have the best birthday!
19. All the hugs and kisses in the world will never be enough to show how much we love you. Happy birthday to our lovely boy!
20. Happy birthday to our amazing son. We hope your birthday is as special as you are!
Happy birthday to the happiest and brightest little star in our lives!
22. Happy birthday to our wonderful little boy whose smile shines brighter than the sun!
23. Happy birthday to our little boy. You’re our superstar!
24. To the most roarsome boy in the world. Have a dino-tastic birthday!
25. A special son like you deserves the most special birthday. Have a fantastic day!
26. Happy birthday to the coolest kid around!
27. No matter how old you get, know that I will always love you. Happy Birthday!
28. Happy birthday to our amazing son. We love you to the moon and back!
29. You’ve got your…. Birthday Badge! Now there’s just time for one last thing, birthday hugs!
30. Happy birthday to our favourite little man. Have a wonderful birthday, son!
31. To the best son and the best friend, have the best birthday in the whole wide world!
32. Every year you get a little bit older, but every year we love you even more. Happy birthday!
Preschool birthday wishes
33. Happy birthday to our little superhero. Have a wonderful birthday!
34. Happy birthday to our little rockstar! We hope you have the best birthday ever!
35. We can’t believe you’re X already! We’re so proud of the big boy you’re growing up to be. Happy birthday to the best son!
36. What did the pirate say on his 80th birthday? Aye, matey! Happy birthday to our little boy!
37. Have a wonderful birthday, playing with your friends, eating cake and ice cream. Happy birthday to our amazing little boy!
38. Happy birthday to our little [sport] star. Have a fantastic day!
39. Happy birthday to an amazing son! We can’t wait for another year filled with fun adventures
Spiderman, Iron Man, Captain America and Thor were all little boys like you a long time ago. But you’re already our superhero. Happy birthday!
41. A BIG boy like you deserves a BIG birthday, BIG balloons and a BIG cake! Happy birthday our darling boy!
42. Every year you get more handsome, smarter and just all round even more awesome! Happy birthday to an amazing son!
43. Happy birthday to our precious little boy. Thank you for coming into our lives!
44. Every birthday we think back to all the amazing memories we’ve created together. And we can’t wait to make millions more with you. Happy birthday our sweet boy!
45. Never stop being your wonderful and wacky self. You light up our lives and the lives of everyone you meet. Happy birthday son!
46. Abracadabra, Alakazam! I can’t believe how lucky I am. I have the most magical son, so here’s a card to say happy birthday!
We can’t believe how big you’ve grown this year. But no matter how many birthdays you have, you’ll never be too old for birthday hugs and kisses. Happy birthday!
48. Happy birthday to our future racing champion. Have a wonderful birthday!
Tween birthday wishes for sons
49. Happy birthday to our favourite son in the whole wide world… oh wait, you’re our only son! Have a wonderful day!
50. Knock knock! Who’s there? Wanda. Wanda who? Wanda wish you a happy birthday, son! Have a great one
How are you in double digits already?! We can’t believe we’ve had 10 years of love and laughter with you. And we can’t wait for the next 10. We love you so much and have a wonderful birthday!
52. We hope all your dreams come true this year. Mum and Dad will always be there to help you achieve them. Happy birthday!
53. We’re so proud to be your Mum and Dad. Have an amazing birthday, we love you!
54. May the force be with you on your birthday, our young padawan! Happy birthday!
55. Why try to fit in when you were born to stand out?! Happy birthday to you, our truly special boy!
56. You’re an amazing boy. Be happy, be healthy and believe in yourself. Happy birthday!
57. Be the change you want to see in the world. Happy birthday to our hero!
58. We’ll never tire of seeing the smile on your face. Happy birthday to our dearest son!
Happy birthday to our amazing son! We hope you hit the back of the net in all that you do this year.
60. We won the lottery when we got you as our son! Happy birthday!
61. Wishing the coolest kid we know, a wonderful, wonderful birthday!
62. Happy birthday to the boy with the stinkiest socks!
63. Thank you for laughing at all my Dad jokes. Don’t worry, I’ve got years’ worth left! Happy birthday
64. Have the most wonderful of birthdays, filled with fun memories! Happy birthday!
Teen birthday wishes
65. Officially a teen, God help us! Have a wonderful birthday son!
66. Happy birthday my son. I hope all your dreams come true. You deserve it!
67. Happy birthday to a terrific son. Hope you have a wonderful birthday!
68. We’re so proud of the young man you’ve become. Have a wonderful birthday!
69. Another birthday, another year closer to being taller than your dad! Have a wonderful birthday son!
70. If we had to pick a favourite child, we’d definitely pick you! (We definitely didn’t write the exact same thing on your brother/sister’s card!) Happy birthday!
We’re so proud of what you’ve achieved in the past year, and we’re so excited to help you follow your dreams again this year. Keep shooting for the stars, son. Happy birthday!
72. Another year older, and another year closer to a birthday drink with your Dad. Happy birthday son!
73. Now that you can play the lottery, we bought you a ticket. But we want a 50% cut if you win! Happy birthday to our amazing son!
74. We’re so very proud of the kind, thoughtful and caring young man you’ve become. You must have amazing parents! Happy birthday dear boy!
75. We can’t believe it’s our baby boy’s Sweet Sixteen birthday. We hope you have the most amazing day, happy birthday!
We’re so delighted to see you turning 17. Now you can learn to drive and be our taxi for a change! Happy birthday son!
77. When you’re rich and famous, you better put us in a good nursing home!
78. What are you guaranteed to get every birthday? A year older! Happy birthday!
79. Welcome to adulthood, son. Time to start paying rent. Happy 18th birthday!
80. One of the things a lot of dads look forward to is taking his son to the pub for his first (legal) alcoholic drink. That time is finally here! Happy 18th birthday son!
Adult birthday wishes for sons
81. We’re so incredibly proud of the man you’ve become and love you so much. Happy birthday son!
82. Welcome to your 20s son. Use these years to live your life. Meet new people, try new things, visit new places. Live your life to the fullest. Happy birthday!
83. Happy birthday son, another year closer to having as little hair as your old man!
All those years mocking us getting older are starting to come back and bite you. I think I see a few grey hairs! Happy birthday son!
85. We’re so proud of the Dad you’ve become. You make us so proud to be your parents. Happy birthday son!
86. You continue to inspire us to be better people every day. Keep smashing it!
87. You may be a grown man now, but the soppy birthday messages will never stop. We love you more than you will ever know. Keep being the man you are and lifting everyone around you. Happy birthday!
88. Happy birthday to the man who has made me a better man! Love you, son
89. Here’s to another trip around the sun, son. Have a drink on me. Cheers!
90. You may be all grown up, but you never stop being a parent, and you’re still our baby boy. Happy birthday!
91. Son, we raised you, paid for you and support you. Now you’re old enough to return the favour! Have a great birthday!
There’s a quote that says “You don’t raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they’ll turn out to be heroes, even if it’s just in your own eyes.” You’re my hero! Happy birthday son!
93. You were a wonderful child and you’ve become an even better man. (Notice how I didn’t mention the teenage years…) Happy birthday son!
94. Every year your birthday brings back memories of holding you in my arms for the first time. It’s a moment I’ll never, ever forget. Happy birthday, son!
95. We might not say it often enough, but we wanted to tell you how much we love and cherish you. Happy birthday!
96. When a man wishes for a son, he wishes for someone just like you. You make me the luckiest, happiest and proudest Dad in the world. Happy birthday!
16 birthday wishes for son in law
97. Happy first birthday as our son-in-law. We’re delighted our daughter/son has found someone like you to go through life with!
98. Happy birthday to the son we never had! Have a great day celebrating
99. Happy birthday bonus child! Hope you have a special birthday
100. Wishing our dear son in law the happiest birthday!
101. Some family members are with you from birth, while others join later in life. And we’re so honoured to have you part of ours! Happy birthday to a wonderful son-in-law!
102. Hope your birthday is better than your jokes, but then that won’t be hard. Have a great day!
103. Happy birthday to the man who has put up with our crazy daughter/son for so long. You deserve a medal!
104. We’re proud to call you our daughter/son’s husband and our grandkid’s Dad. Have a wonderful birthday!
105. First you won our daughter/son’s heart. Then you won ours! Happy birthday son!
106. You deserve nothing but the best on your birthday. Have a fantastic day!
107. We hope your birthday is filled with as much happiness as you've added to our lives!
108. We would say ‘hope all your wishes come true’, but they already did when you bagged us as your in-laws! Have a great birthday!
109. Dear son-in-law, continue being the amazing man you are today and your life will be fulfilled. Have a great birthday!
110. It’s a special birthday for a special son-in-law. Have a wonderful birthday!
111. Put your feet up and have a drink. You deserve it! Happy birthday!
112. Hope X spoils you rotten today. After everything you do for everyone else around you, you deserve the world. Happy birthday to an amazing son-in-law!
What is a good happy birthday message to my son?
We can’t tell you what a good happy birthday to your son is. But we can tell you that birthday messages to your son should always be personal to them and your relationship. If there’s a certain nickname you call him, use that. If he’s five-years old and loves Marvel, personalise the message around Marvel. If he loves jokes, put a Dad joke in there. If he’s done really well at school the past year, tell him how proud you are
Whatever it is, just make it relevant and personal to him.
How do you say happy birthday to a grown son?
We love birthday messages that tell an adult son how proud you are of the man he’s become. It might not be something you say often, and so a birthday card is the ideal opportunity. If he has children of his own, you could reflect on some of your early years and memories as a dad, or tell him how he inspires you to be a better dad.
But still use the same logic from the previous question. Make it personal and relevant to him and your relationship together.
How do you say happy birthday to your son-in-law?
Again, make it relevant to your relationship together. However, birthday messages for son-in-laws are a great opportunity to help bring him into the family.
In the first few years after they get married, maybe the message is about welcoming him into the family, how proud you are to have him as part of the family, maybe how he’s the son you never had (providing you don’t actually have a son, of course!).
After a few years, and as you become more and more familiar with each other, you could start to introduce some more jokey messages, about how he’s a saint for putting up with your daughter/son and things like that.