A true dad is one with the force of the dad joke. And he needs to have a host of Star Wars jokes and puns in his locker if he is ever to reach the rank of Dad Joke Master.
We're not talking about a Star Wars joke here and there on May 4th, you need to be armed with enough to see you through the year. From Princess Leia and Han Solo, to visiting a Chinese restaurant, and mixing a bounty hunter with a tropical fruit, you need to cover all bases for your Star Wars jokes.
Whether you're a dad joke Jedi master or a young padawn, these 101 Star Wars jokes will grant you a place on the Dad Jokes Jedi Council.
What makes a great Star Wars Dad Joke?
As with any joke, what makes it great depends on your audience. And that is particularly important when it comes to Star Wars jokes. It's hard to believe, but some people don't like Star Wars (I know, I know!). Go too niche with these people and your joke will miss the mark worse than a Stormtrooper's blaster. Go too mainstream for a seasoned Star Wars expert and they'll find your lack of expertise disturbing.
You've got three core audience groups you need to be aware of to make sure your Star Wars dad joke pops like the fireworks after the Battle for Endor.
The dark side
You have those who don't like Star Wars (I know, I don't understand it either), but they'll still know Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father (I'm not even going to apologise for that spoiler. It's been 40 years!). Even though they're not a fan, your funny Star Wars Jokes will still earn at least a chuckle.
Casual Star Wars fans
These Star Wars fans know the original Star Wars trilogy from the new Star Wars trilogy, and know their Obi Wan Kenobi from their Qui Gon Jin. But don't expect them to laugh when you pull out a pun about a single line of dialogue from an episode of The Clone Wars.
True Star Wars fans
These are the people for whom watching Star Wars is a lifestyle. You can pull out Star Wars jokes from the farthest corners of the outer rim, relying on their knowledge of the most obscure minor characters. But only the highest order funny Star Wars jokes will do for this group.
If you're a little unsure which group your audience fits into to, just use the good old Obi Wan 'Hello there'. If reply with 'General Kenobi, I've been expecting you', they're a true Star Wars fan. If not, they're either casual or just not interested.
The amazing thing about Star Wars is that there's so much material to source your jokes from.
101 brilliantly funny Star Wars jokes
1. What is Admiral Ackbar's favourite type of music?
2. Which website did Chewbacca get arrested for creating?
3. What do you call a pirate droid?
4. Why is Yoda such a good gardener?
Because he has a green thumb.
5. Why couldn’t Luke find love?
He was looking in Alderaan places.
6. Which Star Wars character sells hotdogs?
7. What do you get if you mix a bounty hunter with a tropical fruit?
8. Is BB hungry?
9. How does Darth Vader like his toast?
On the dark side.
10. How did they get between floors on the Death Star?
In the ele-Vader.
11. What did Han Solo say to the waiter who recommended the haddock?
Never sell me the cods!
12. Obi-Wan and Luke went to a Chinese restaurant, but Luke couldn't use the chopsticks.
So Obi-Wan said, "Use the forks, Luke!"
13. A clone trooper walks into a pub and asks the barman, “Hey, have you seen my brother?”.
“I dunno,” says the barman, “What does he look like?”
14. What did Darth Vader say when he walked into a vegetarian restaurant?
“I find your lack of steak disturbing."
15. What do you call a nervous Jedi?
16. How does Darth Vader like his steaks?
Well, done done done, done da done, done da done!
17. What is Han Solo’s favourite rapper?
18. What is R2D2 short for?
Because he has little legs.
19. What do you call an invisible droid?
20. What's the internal temperature of a Tauntaun?
21. What do you call a droid that takes the long way around?
22. Why did movies 4, 5, and 6 come before 1, 2, and 3?
Direct them, Yoda did.
23. My wife says she’s leaving me because of my obsession with Star Wars.
I said, “Please don’t go, honey. You’re the Obi-Wan for me.”
24. Which program do Jedi use to open PDF files?
Adobe Wan Kenobi.
25. I asked my wife to dress up as a bounty hunter from Star Wars.
I have a Boba fettish.
26. What was General Grievous’ favourite band?
27. I went to a sale at the Maul.
Everything was half off.
28. How do you unlock doors on Kashyyyk?
With a woo-key.
29. Where do Gungans store their jam?
30.How do you stir fry on Endor?
With an e-wok.
31. Why did Anakin Skywalker cross the road?
To get to the Dark Side.
32. What’s a rebel’s favourite TV talent show?
33. What kind of spaceship did Luke fly in grade school?
34. What do you call an over-powered janitorial stormtrooper in the Death Star?
A Super Duper Pooper Trooper.
35. Why was the Millennium Falcon easier to fly after The Force Awakens?
It’s now Hans free.
36. Trying to come up with jokes about Star Wars is difficult.
Sometimes they seem a bit too forced.
37. Where did Luke get his cybernetic hand?
The second hand store.
38. Why did the storm trooper buy the iPhone?
He couldn't find an-droid he was looking for.
39. So my friend decided to get a face tattoo of her favourite Star Wars character.
You should’ve seen the Luke on her face.
40. Because Yoda was in charge of the jokes.
Why was the punchline in the title?
41. How do Ewoks communicate over long distances?
With Ewokie Talkies.
42. What is Jabba the Hutt’s middle name?
43. What kind of car does a Jedi drive?
44. Why did everyone leave the party after Emperor Palpatine ordered pizza?
He ordered 66.
45. What do you call it when only one Star Wars character gives you a round of applause?
A Hand Solo.
46. How did Darth Vader know what Luke was getting for his birthday?
He felt his presents!
47. What do you call five Siths piled on top of a lightsaber?
48. How long has Anakin Skywalker been evil?
Since the sith grade.
49. Why didn’t any of Luke Skywalker’s marriages last?
He always followed Obi-Wan’s advice: “Use divorce, Luke.”
50. What do you call two Han Solos singing together?
51. What do you call Kenobi twins?
52. What sound do Yoda’s sheep make?
Day go baaa.
53. What do you call an sith procrastinator?
54. Where is the best place to shop for lightsabers?
The Darth Maul.
55. Why are Death Star pilots fed up with space battles?
Because they always end up in a TIE.
56. Why shouldn’t you ask Yoda for money?
He’s always a little short.
57. Why does Princess Leia keep her hair tied up?
So it doesn't Hang So-low.
58. Why is Darth Vader not safe for children under 3 years old?
He’s a choking hazard!
59. What do you call a rebel princess who only shops at Whole Foods?
60. Why was the droid angry?
People kept pushing it's buttons.
61. What’s Yoda’s advice for going to the bathroom?
Doo-doo or doo-doo-not-do.
62. What position does Darth Vader play in baseball?
63. What did Leia’s adoptive parents say when she used to sleepwalk as a child?
Uh-oh, it’s the rise of Skywalker.
64. Which imperial officer hated Thanksgiving?
Grand Moff Turkeyn.
65. Where does Kylo Ren get his creepy black clothes?
From his closet.
66. What do Jawas have that no other creatures in the galaxy has?
67. What do you call a potato that has turned to the Dark side?
68. What would you call Padme if she was a dog?
69. An Ewok strolls into a bar and says to the bartender, “I’ll have a whisky and …… soda.”
The bartender says, “Sure thing—but why the little pause?”
“Dunno,” says the Ewok. “I’ve had them all my life.”
70. What do you call a Gungan taxi driver?
Car Car Binks.
71. Oh, sure everyone loves Star Wars on May 4th...
Until you tell your nephew you’re his father!
72. Warning: Star Wars spoilers!
Voosh voosh pew pew pew voosh voosh pew pew voosh force choke voosh pew pew pew.
73. Have you tried the gluten-free Wookiee treats?
I heard they’re a little Chewy.
74. Why should you never drink the blue milk from the Mos Eisley cantina?
It’ll give you the Kessel runs for twelve parsecs.
75. Jabba the Hut is so fat that Obi Wan took a closer look and said,
"That's no moon"
76. What did Yoda ride as a kid?
A do-cycle. Because there is no tri.
77. Why is a droid mechanic never lonely?
Because he’s always making new friends.
78.How do Tusken Raiders cheat on their taxes?
They always single file, to hide their numbers.
79. Which Star Wars character lives in Florida?
80. What do you call a rock star Jedi?
Bon Jovi-Wan Kenobi.
81. What's a baseball player's least favourite Star Wars movie?
The Umpire Strikes Back.
82. Why was Darth Vader referred to as Lord Vader?
Because calling him Master Vader made all the Stormtroopers giggle.
(Maybe don't read this one to kids...)
83. What goes, "Ha, ha, ha, haaaa… AGGGHHHH! Thump"?
An Imperial Officer laughing at Darth Vader.
84. Who did Princess Leia's hair?
85. Why did Han Solo wait to ask Princess Leia to marry him?
He didn't want to force it.
86. What did Darth Vader say to the Emperor at the Star Wars auction?
“What is thy bidding, my master?”
87. What is a Jedi’s favourite toy?
88. Why was Yoda afraid of seven?
Because six, seven, eight.
89. Why was Darth Vader bad at sports?
He always choked.
90. What do you call Chewbacca when he gets chocolate in his fur?
A chocolate chip Wookiee!
91. What do you call a bird of prey with a thousand lives?
A millennium falcon!
92. What did Jabba call his Pizza restaurant?
93. What did Darth Vader say when the record store ran out of George Michael albums?
“I find your lack of ‘Faith’ disturbing.”
94. What’s Darth Vader’s favourite measurement system?
The Imperial System.
95. Why was Kylo Ren so angry when the table next to him received their food?
Because he was the First Order.
96. Did you see Kylo Ren at his recital?
I heard he killed the solo.
97. What did the dentist say to Luke Skywalker?
May the floss be with you.
98. Which Star Wars character travels around the world?
99. Why do doctors make the best Jedi?
Because Jedis have loads of patience.
100. What does Kylo Ren serve at a dinner party?
First hors d’oeuvres.
101. What time is it when an AT-AT steps on your chronometer?
Time to get a new chronometer.
How do you try a Star Wars dad joke?
Do or do not, there is not try.
Do you need to be a Star Wars expert to tell Star Wars dad jokes?
The force is not strong with this one. But that's okay! Most people have at least some knowledge of Star Wars - they know the main characters, the know Vader is Luke's father etc etc. So you can definitely get away with telling some cracking Star Wars dad jokes without knowing everything there is to know about Star Wars.
What makes a great Star Wars dad joke?
It all depends on getting the audience right! There's no point pulling out a joke about a niche part of the Star Wars universe that needs plenty of context and background knowledge on someone who watched the films once 10 years ago. Similarly, if you go for something quite simple on a Star Wars super fan, it's probably going to drop dead quicker than Obi-Wan's cloak.