It often feels like the pace of our lives is going by faster with every week. Seeing the world through our children’s eyes means we’re ever more conscious of all the ways the world is changing for them too. With increased pressure on our education system our children are often taught subjects to pass tests, not necessarily to build life skills.
When we found out about Role Models, and their mission to teach a million children the skills of life – communicating well, solving problems, thinking critically – we were very introgued. We spoke to Founder, Hugo Shepard to find out more.
1. What is Role Models.me?
Role Models was set up in 2014 by Hugo, where fresh from working in corporate world, he wanted to make a real difference, and remembered his student days where he provided childcare. He knew there would be a better way to nurture the real life skills that children need.
"At Role models, we want to inspire this generation of children to make the world a better place through their relationships, their ideas, their careers and their own sense of purpose.
We want to achieve this by teaching a million children how to communicate well, collaborate effectively, think critically, solve problems creatively and lead brilliantly so that they can shape their future and those around them."
Hugo Shephard - Role Models
As parents become increasingly concerned with areas like E-Safety, and securing future education for their children, there is a strong sense that more needs to be done to give our children the type of learnings that are really about them – their own confidence, their own character – and that’s a really important part of what’s going to determine success in the future, especially fir children in the pre and early teenage years.
2. Life skills for kids and so much more
In Hugo’s own words: "We help children fly by giving them the skills they need to grow, develop and thrive in a changing world because we believe that children should be skilled for life as well as being schooled in the classroom."
There are two areas that Role Models specializes in.
1. Life Skills Courses: These are typically 4-5 day courses for 8-12 year olds and 10 – 14 age groups respectively. Everything from Resilience, through to Leadership and Teamwork are all workshop options.
And a lot of parents have noticed the difference.
"The kids are beaming when I picked them up today. They had huge breakthroughs and were very proud of themselves.”
"She came home bubbling over with enthusiasm today so am very pleased with how things have gone so far. Many thanks."
"More out-going, more confident in speaking up to for himself."
Hugo adds; "our daily focus is on providing courses for children both here and abroad that focus on leadership, resilience, teamwork and creative problem solving – key skills for succeeding in a 21st century world. We approach everything in a way that’s serious fun."
2. Creative Childcare: Building character in our children isn’t just about classes, it’s about everyday interactions too, and Hugh has created a brilliant way to think about childcare. With a huge network of fully checked childcare experts with passions in art, drama, sports and more – Role Models also offers childcare for a range of areas including:
- Ongoing after-school
- School holiday (full and half days)
- Last minute / ad-hoc childcare
- Evening childcare (including overnight if required)
- Weekend childcare (half days, full days, or whole weekends)
- Holiday childcare (take a Role Model with you for a weekend away or for a longer trip anywhere in the UK or abroad)
3. Find Out More & Booking
"The world is changing at break neck speed and schools need as much as support as possible to prepare children for the world of work and beyond. The skills that children need and future employers want cannot be developed at school alone and our courses and childcare offer a solution to that problem." Hugo Shephard